Ελληνικά | English
Psychological Counseling for Students with Disabilities
The goal of the Psychological Counseling is to offer psychosocial support and counseling to all the Students with Disabilities at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Individual sessions take place at the Counseling Center for Students of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, which is situated in the School of Philosophy in Panepistimiopolis, by the Psychologist of the Accessibility Unit.
Who is the Counseling Service addressed to?
Students with Disabilities can ask for support or help for some of the following problems:
- Difficulties in social, interpersonal, and intimate relationships (e.g. with family members, friends, or partner)
- Academic difficulties and exam stress – training on study skills
- Low self-esteem
- Stress/ Anxiety/ Phobias
- Mood difficulties/ disorders
- Eating difficulties/ disorders
- Other issues that hinder every day functioning and academic adjustment
The first meeting
Students with Disabilities who are interested in psychological counseling can contact the Service and ask for an appointment, using one of the following alternative ways of communication:
- telephone: direct contact with the psychologist of the service, under +30 210 7277554.
- e-mail: send an e-mail with your name and telephone number and describe shortly your request. Send it to the e-mail address: ansofianpsych.uoa.gr.
- in person: come to the Counseling Center for Students, Monday to Friday from 10:00-16:00 (Time Zone: GMT +2:00), in the
School of Philosophy, Department of Psychology, fifth floor, Room 511.
Students who are interested in counseling must have already filled in the Students’ Needs Recording Form of the Accessibility Unit for Students with Disabilities.
During the first meeting, students are asked to fill in –by themselves or together with the psychologist– one questionnaire with personal data (includes questions concerning the current difficulties), as well as a second questionnaire (SCL-90-R) with 90 items, where students indicate if and in which extend they were concerned with certain difficulties within the last month. A short discussion follows, concerning the main difficulties students want to get help, or support, for in order to manage or solve them. After that, weekly one-hour sessions are scheduled. Counseling sessions remain confident.
Except individual face-to-face sessions, there is also the possibility for internet-based counseling, using programs such as ooVoo, Windows Live Messenger, and Skype. Weekly one-hour sessions are again scheduled.
The ID information for those programs are as follows:
οoVoo ID: counselling_uoa
MSN ID: counselling_uoa
Skype ID: counselling_uoa
For further information or questions, please contact the psychological counseling service!