Erasmus+ is the EU’s programme to support education, training, youth and sport. Its objectives are skills enhancement and the modernization of educational and training systems for the period 2021-2027.
Despite the fact that disability can be an obstacle in the everyday life of every disabled person, the European Commission has adopted a general policy aiming to the inclusion of persons with disability in every activity, especially in education.
The National and Kapodistrian University of Athens has been accredited by the European Commission with the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education and participates in the Erasmus+ Programme.
- Erasmus Charter for Higher Education: 31475-EPP-1-2014-1-GR-EPPKA3-ECHE
- Institutional Erasmus Code: G ATHINE01
Erasmus+ offers mobility opportunities not only to students (for a period of study or training abroad) but also to faculty members and members of staff. If a student, faculty member or member of staff with disability is selected by the NKUA to participate in the programme and provided that the conditions for participating are met and all required documents have been submitted, he/she will receive the usual financial aid for students, faculty members or members of staff (per month, day or week), whose amount depends on the destination country.
Apart from that general financial aid, which is granted to every person with disability selected for mobility and has no deadline, special financial aid can be granted to persons with severe disability under the following conditions:
- The cost of their transportation is exceedingly high and
- that cost cannot be covered by alternative sources, such as national funding.
Further possible demands
- Escort for the journey (to the country of the Hosting Institution and back)
- Special transportation from the Home Institution to the Host Institution or enterprise and locally, during the period spent abroad
- Housing (in case there aren’t any special rooms in the student dormitories)
- Personal assistant during the day and/or night
- Patient caretaker
- Special nutrition
- Medical attendance (physiotherapy sessions, regular medical examination in the host country)
- Medical disposables, if they cannot be covered by the European Health Insurance Card or a Private Health Insurance
- Support during classes (e.g for taking notes etc.)
- Special educational material (e.g. in braille, large print photocopies, lecture audio-recording etc.)