The University Gym & Sports of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (NKUA), in collaboration with the Accessibility Unit for Students with Disabilities, operates since the academic year 2019-2020 a Sports Department for Students with Disabilities (SwD). The services of this department are available to every student of the NKUA with physical or sensory limitations.
The primary goal of the department is the creative and safe participation of its members in various sports and cultural activities, in order to provide equal opportunities to all students of the NKUA.
In the initial stage of operation of the Sports Department, adjustments will be made, depending on the level and the participation of its members, in the following sports and activities for students with vision loss (blindness, low vision) or hearing (deafness, hearing loss):
- Exercise and fitness improvement
- Adapted greek folk dances
- Hiking (accompanied by volunteer escorts)
- Promote and enhance motor development.
- Develop basic motor abilities.
- Improve fitness and fine motor skills
- Exercise sensory functions in order to improve attention, perception and memory.
- Enhance self-esteem.
- Promoting the socialization of the athletes and the social acceptance of diversity.